security tips for all bloggers. Please pass it on and feel free to share other ideas.
1. Standard application like Microsoft Outlook, Eudora, etc (without addons) - Emails are transferred in plain text. Easily intercepted. Not safe.
2. Company's email system - Copy of your inbound/outbound email can easily be made at the servers. Not safe.
3. Web-based email (e.g. Yahoo Mail, Google Mail) - After you open a mail, check the URL. If the URL starts only with "http:" (without 's'), not safe. If the URL starts with "https:", the data is encrypted and safe.
1. web-based encryption (http://www.hushmail.com/). Free edition has limitations.
2. Or, Use encryption application/addon. Requires technical expertise to integrate into email software.
Email (my recommendation)
- Use the free service, http://www.hushmail.com/
1. There were cases of companies install spy software in their employees computers. In such cases, encrypted page is not useful.
2. Watch out for non-computer spying, such as; surveillance cameras.
Spying (my recommendation)
- For whistle blowers, avoid using your company's computer and network to transmit confidential information.
Web and Email hosting
- All data such as logs and files, both encrypted or unencrypted, can be obtained or intercepted at the servers.
Web and Email hosting (my recommendation)
- Important to host only in companies that you trust.
- Consider overseas hosting if local jurisdictions are issues of concern.
Other security tips for computer.
1. Install a firewall
2. Encrypt your documents especially, if you are using laptop
(such software does not work if you're using a router or behind a local network)
4. Anonymous (without software)
(such sites also enable you to access sites that your company blocks)
5. Check your computer's IP address seen by servers you're accessing
6. Delete cached data
7. Wipe your hardisc to prevent deleted document reconstruction